Asian Heritage Month Blog Event:
Cherry Blossom Photo Contest
By Zara D. Garcia-Alvarez
At least once a year, my husband and I, and our two children make a special effort in visiting Kariya Park in Mississauga. As former residents of Mississauga, it always feels like home to return not only to the city, but also to Kariya Park especially for the viewing of its cherry blossom trees.
It was opened in July 1992 in honour of the city’s twin-sister city relationship with Kariya, Japan, located fifteen kilometres southwest of Nagoya, between Kyoto and Tokyo.
The City of Kariya symbol can be viewed in various areas of the park that includes a wild goose (kari) and a figure eight (ya). The combination of the two symbols produces the city’s name, Kariya.
We made our visit to the park this past weekend.
In honour of Hanami and the beautiful sakura during Asian Heritage Month, I will be hosting a Cherry Blossom Photo Contest at The Bibliotaphe’s Closet!
The best photo entry will win their choice of one of the following books from The Book Depository (you can click on the photos to be led to Goodreads for details about the book):
Cherry Blossom Contest Rules:
- This giveaway is open to any country that The Book Depository (TBD) will deliver to for free. To check if TBD delivers to your country, check here.
- You must have a valid email and mailing address to qualify. No P.O. Box addresses accepted.
- You must be 15 years old and up to enter.
- You must follow my blog by GFC, Networked Blogs, or Facebook to qualify.
- A maximum of five (5) photo entries will be accepted from one person.
- All photos must be originals with copyright belonging to the entrant and not a photo that was taken from online, the Internet, or the Web.
- The photo composition must include cherry blossoms, or depict an Asian theme, and not be tampered or photo-edited in any way.
- A winner will be chosen based on: best photo quality, aesthetic, creativity, and/or Asian theme.
- To enter, please send your photo(s) to Zara Alexis of The Bibliotaphe’s Closet by email.
- Subject line should read: CHERRY BLOSSOM PHOTO CONTEST
Your entry must include the following information:
- full name
- full mailing address
- how your follow me (GFC, Networked Blogs, or Facebook—or all!)
- The name(s) or user ID(s) you follow me by
- name/title for photo(s)
- total number of photo(s) submitted – MAX. 5
- book of choice from the list provided above if you win
- By submitting a photo(s) to the contest, the entrant agrees to allow The Bibliotaphe’s Closet to post the photo(s) online on its blog. Copyright will remain with the photographer and proper credit will be acknowledged.
- Winner must respond to notification within 48 hours to claim prize and confirm mailing address before order can be placed.
- If winner fails to claim prize, a new winner will be chosen.
- If not enough photo entries are submitted due to lack of interest, nor quality photos entered to deem a photo contest winner, contest will either be postponed or closed at the discretion of The Bibliotaphe’s Closet.
- Contest ends June 30, 2012 at 11:59 p.m. EST
- For further details, please visit Zara Alexis’ Giveaway Contest Policy.