By Zara D. Garcia-Alvarez
Do the Dewey Read-a-Thon with Me!
Oh dear, look what I got myself into! The Dewey’s Read-a-Thon, which is a worldwide, communal reading challenge for 24 hours!
I figure, I read anyway. And now, the Dewey’s Read-a-Thon can help me justify my obsession and love for books, as well as provide a time and site of encouragement to help me catch up on my reading—because, really, I need the encouragement! (Cheerleaders, please visit ME often!)
Readers will read books, can post in their blogs about what they’re reading, and also be able to visit other readers’ blogs along the way! The fun even includes participating in mini-challenges throughout the day with a chance to win prizes!
And who said the greatest reward of reading is reading in of itself? Hah!
Why not join me and countless other read-aholics out there—yes, believe it or not, this read-a-thon is international, which means you and I will be reading alongside our friends from around the globe!
Hello, Norway! Hello, France! Hello, Jerusalem! Hello, Taiwan!
So, if you love reading and want to spend some time (yes, 24 hours) doing it alongside some awesome people who are just as NUTS as you are about books, well, then, what are you waiting for? Sign up! You can sign up here.
Oh, and since we’re on the subject of “cuckoo,” here’s a great book suggestion to read during the Read-a-Thon:
And just so you know what you’re getting into, here are a few details about the Dewey’s Read-a-Thon:
1) The read-a-thon will run from SATURDAY, APRIL 21 to SUNDAY APRIL 22! There are start times for everyone around the world!
2) Mini challenges will help break up the monotony of your read-a-thon experience and is completely optional. That’s right. You never have to do anything, but you know, if I were you, I’d participate just for the fun of it. It’ll be sure to help you build community and give you a chance at winning prizes. And you know me, I’m more than happy to win a prize…or two!!
3) You can also host a mini-challenge if you like. To do that, you can apply here.
4) Or if you’re too busy to be a reader, but are great at encouraging others maybe you’d like to be a cheerleader? Are you an uplifter of spirits? Do you feel great when you make people smile? Do you own a pair of virtual cheerleading pom-poms? If so, maybe you’d like to be a cheerleader for the event? You can sign up here for that.
GIVE ME A B! GIVE ME AN O-O! GIVE ME A K! give me an s!
AND WHAT DO YOU GET?
BOOKs! BOOKs! BOOKs!
5) Other than that, my only other suggestion is HAVE FUN. We’re all in this together.
That’s it for now—until I see you again during the Read-a-Thon. Well…some of the time I’ll see you because really, I plan on sticking my nose into a few books.
I’ll be updating throughout the event so I can be held accountable for my progress (or lack thereof). Be sure to check back.
And let’s “do-ey” the Dewey together!